Monday, February 21, 2011

Short Term To-Do List

How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time!

I like to think about things in pieces so I don't get overwhelmed and give myself ulcers.  Right now, ie: February- May is phase 1.  Phase 1 includes all the to-do items up until save the dates get mailed out.  For those of you just joining us, we already have our budget together and made the rough invite list, booked a venue and our date at the church.  So now I will apply Natalie's patented work backwards method to create my list.  I made up this method long ago and it has changed my life as far as prioritizing tasks goes and figuring out how to get stuff done.  I am going to write a book about it and sell it for 3 easy payments of $9.95 on an infomercial one of these days...  Ok probably not because it is very simple, and can be applied to anything.  I think about the end product, in all of its glory, then figure the step right before the end, then the step before that, etc., and get the prior steps to making it happen.  Here is a visual example of N.P.W.B.M. to my career:
So anyway, back on topic.  When I think about a save the date card/magnet/whatever that I want to send out, these questions arise:
1. What is the theme of this card?
2. What info is included?
3. Is there a color scheme?

I am a fan of things coordinating so I would like the save the dates we use to have a theme that will go with the wedding.
To Do Item 1. Pick a theme

What goes on this thing anyway?  Our names - done.  The date - done.  City - done.  Website - not done.
To Do Item 2. Make website
What goes on a website?
*Info about us
*Places/addresses/maps
*Attendants
To Do Item 2.1 Choose attendants
*Registry Info
To Do Item 2.2 Register
*Accommodations
To Do Item 2.3 Get a group rate at a hotel somewhere

What color scheme is incorporated into the website and save the date card? 
To Do Item 3. Take Mom to Petroleum club (she is my artistic consultant) and see which colors she thinks would totally clash in there.
To Do Item 4. Choose a color scheme that works with church, reception venues, compliments attendants' skin tones, comes in seasonal flowers for January.  I am nothing if not thorough.  lol.
To Do Item 5. Get addresses and mail these suckers out.

To Do List
1. Pick a Theme
2. Make Website
2.1 Choose Attendants
2.2 Register
2.3 Get Hotel Group Rates
3. Get a Mom Tour of PCOH
4. Pick Colors
5. Get Addresses
6. Order Save the Dates
7. Mail Save the Dates

Deadline: May 2011

Ready, set, go!

3 comments:

Keila said...

Would you please, kindly write your book tomorrow so that I can read it and figure out how to apply this method to birth of a baby? Thanks!

On a side note, I love your blog and think that you are more than well on your way to an utterly fabulous wedding!

Natalie said...

Aw thanks Keila, and I will get started on my book, lol. I doubt you'll need it though, you and Matt are going to be fabulous parents! :)

Lindsey said...

-I do love how your list items have a 2.1 and 2.2 -Always a list girl :)
XOXO!