Friday, March 18, 2011

Catechism Update


I just realized that I have not talked about catechism class yet!  So far I have been to two classes, so it is still fairly new to me.  It is cool meeting people in the church.  A knows a bunch of them, but he has trouble in the friendliness department on Sundays (and add to that the fact that 'everyone has their own agenda' - per new friend Olga)  So due to all the new people meeting, I am beginning to get a much better sense of community at church, which is cool.  Class is fairly interesting.  Week one, A tagged along with me and we just went over basic things about God and Orthodox Christianity.  It was a little all over the place, so we touched on creation, and demons, and all kinds of random things.  Week two was better as far as knowing what is going on and what we are learning about.  Week two was mostly about sin, and what the Orthodox view is on the matter.  And I also learned that I should believe that animals don't have souls.  They have a life force/energy, but not an immortal soul like people.  So that's why there is a separate heaven for dogs.  I was always confused on the matter.  **Also, please note that I am only rehashing what I am learning in this class.  I respect you completely if you believe in something different or nothing at all.  I am no theologian, I just work here!
So yeah, class is good.  I am really looking forward to this week's class because we are going to talk about the different stuff that happens during liturgy (Sunday church service).  Because I am totally lost in that area - I only can kind of tell what is going on about 64% of the time.  Yay for clarity! 

No comments: