Monday, June 27, 2011

Moving


Sorry for the lack of updates, but I have been in the middle of moving out of my apartment.  My lease is up, we are pretty sure our parents (and at very least, grandparents and God) would frown upon us 'shacking up' even though we are engaged, so I am moving back to the west side of town to live with my Mom and brother until the wedding.  It is a pretty easy move though, because lucky for me, Aaron lives in the same building, so we are just throwing out his old stuff, and carting most of mine over to his place!  Let me tell you though, I might be a hoarder of old papers and stuff.  I have boxes and boxes of stuff that were in my closet that I have been going through, the best was receipts from oil changes I got 2 cars ago.  Why do I keep this stuff?! 

So the move is going well, and is just about done, and I will miss Aaron and my old place so so much.  I love that apartment.  Sure the hallway is smelly, and there are only 3 electrical outlets in the entire place, and no central a/c, and I can hear everyone enter and exit the building...but I can walk to some really awesome museums and parks, my commute to work is the opposite way of traffic both ways, and I have lived there for 2 years.  2 years out of nearly 30 doesn't seem like much, but aside from my home growing up, I have never lived anywhere that long.  I was the moving champion in college, I was there 7 years (don't judge) and I went through 9 residences and had 11 different roommates.  I like to think of myself as nomadic.  lol.

I did have a thought, however, that makes me want to savor these last 4 days of my lease.  This will be the last time I live alone.  (or as Aaron so sweetly puts it - 'well, until I die')  Living with roommates has always been fun or advantageous in some form to me, but once I got over the initial feelings of lonesomeness and fear of being murdered by a robber, I have learned that I truly enjoy living by myself.  Living with my family will no doubt be pretty easy, we all get along and are respectful of one another, etc., and I am sure living with Aaron will be fun too, but nothing much can compare to have a whole space with a door and a lock where you don't have to be considerate of anyone else, no one moves your things around, or eats the last pop-tart.

So I am going to miss the old place, I will always remember you fondly.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Awwe! I was the first of those college roomies

said...

those were the days :)