Friday, September 30, 2011

Wedding Band Buying!

Bling Bling, ya'll.

If you've been with us a bit, you may recall my post when I got a quote on some old gold I wanted to sell.  Well I got a recommendation from our friend Annie in Las Vegas to bring the gold when we came for the wedding because local jeweler MJ Christensen will double the value of your gold if you spend it in the store.  So that is just what we did.

After evaluation our gold to sell, the guy we were working with said it was worth $190, or we could get $380 on a gift card.  :\  Now I know gold is sold by market price, and the market had gone down slightly since I got said gold appraised in Houston, but $380 was the cash price I was quoted...  So I felt a little bit like I was being had by this pseudo deal, but the Houston cash was going to buy a ring anyway, so it seemed like $380 was the max anyone will give us for this gold, so we may as well go shopping!
Now I had looked at several online places when making our budget, because I have no idea how much these things cost?  Well at a real jewelry store, they are much much pricier.  I looked at what they had to offer, and unfortunatly Aaron and I were not prepaired to drop $2K+ on a wedding band for me.  They had a beautiful selection, and I did find the ring that looks the best with my engagement ring - so at that point the trip was worth it.

The mens wedding bands were about what I priced them for so Aaron tried them on.  He went with a basic 6mm polished white gold band with a comfort fit feature.  I learned that comfort fit just means it is rounded on the inside (sort of like one of those tubes that you float in, or a donut versus a nut (that you build/screw things together with)?) and more comfortable for people not used to wearing jewelry (single men.)  So we got his band, and it will be mailed to us shortly.  And bonus - since we are residents of Texas, and buying in Nevada, no sales tax! 

I must point out as well, that Aaron's hand looks very nice in a wedding band ;)

No comments: