Sunday, January 16, 2011

I am going to be a wife!!!

lol.
And so the journey begins.

Well, it began November 12, 2010, but close enough.  
So I had known A for 3 years, and at this point we spent just about every spare moment together.  A and I had dated for about 4 months when we first met in 2007.  It didn't work out, so we went about our separate lives.  Well a month or two passed and we got to talking again and a friendship formed.  And occasional dinner meetups or trips to the movies turned into seeing one another daily.  And that has been the story for about the last 2 years.  Just friends though. 
Now I, at the time, was 28 years old and single - so I couldn't go 5 minutes without someone asking me when I was going to settle down or at very least find a boyfriend.  So as any late 20's single gal can attest - that was super annoying.  But really, of course I wanted that.  Something with a promising future.  But I was happy.  I liked my job, I was back in school working on my masters degree, I had a great friends, and a great friend A who I love being around.  If it ain't broke, why fix it?  But secretly I really really wanted to be A's girlfriend again, but I was playing it cool.

Well it was a random Friday in November, and A and I had made plans to go to Houston's Nutcracker Market - this giant Christmas craft show they do annually to benefit the Houston ballet.  We are both big fans of Christmas so I thought it might be fun to check it out.  I invited our friends J and M along too.  So we walked around the show, grabbed dinner after and went home.  A and I are neighbors in the same apartment building so we parted ways to our own residences.  Since we are such nerds, we got right on the instant messenger and were chatting - as we do most evenings.  Truth be told, we were chatting and I was being kind of mopey.  A's really good friend Ag got engaged on Monday of that week.  I was over the moon excited for her and her fiance E.  It was a whirlwind romance that went from 0 to 60!  I mean, I think marriage is such an exciting and wonderful life event that is so incredibly special - how could anyone not be excited?!  And weddings are always a blast!!!  But as per usual, whenever another friend or acquaintance gets engaged I always had to wonder 'when is it going to be my turn?'  So I was being a girl about that whole thing, and then I hear a knock on the door.  Mind you, it is about 11pm at night, so I assume I am totally about to get murdered or something... but it is A, and I am totally confused.  What is he doing here?  He hands me a card with on it that reads: You are the whipped cream on the pumpkin pie of life.  And then he gets down on one knee, ring in hand and asks me to marry him.  Wait..., what?  I am stunned, but I say yes.  My wait is over.  And through the next few weeks I learn that A had decided he wanted to ask me a while ago, and was just waiting for a good time to ask.  It was going to be at the Nutcracker Market, but I invited friends along so A decided against it (whoops).  But then A found another opportunity that night for good timing because it got me to quit whining about being single, lol.  Romance is overrated! ;)

So we did things kind of out of order, but we are together and engaged and couldn't be happier!

Now it is time to plan the party!!!

2 comments:

a_mo said...

Yay! Such a sweet story. <3

Unknown said...

Nat,

I love it! Love is so enjoyable and sometimes perplexing, Im very happy that you found each other..