Monday, January 17, 2011

Let the venue try-outs begin!

A and I went to our first open house of the venue shopping process,  The Houston Museum of Natural Science.

This venue was really promising at first.  A and I thought that we could totally out-nerd all our friends by having a reception here.  My main concern was if the place was going to be 'us'.  Don't get me wrong, A and I are nerdy more than anything, but not really science nerdy.  I am kind of math nerdy and A is more nerdy in an intellectual way - like he can beat the pants off of you in Jeopardy! sort of nerdy.  Museums are so hot right now as far as wedding venues go - but perhaps maybe art museums moreso.  Science isn't romantic or weddingy.  Plus the science museum always reminds me of fieldtrips in elementary school.  

So we go to the open house and we are handed a bunch of papers and sent on our way.  Now the only areas available to rent are the Dinosaur area (shown above), the hall of Gems, and the museum foyer.  The Dinosaur area was the only place I would consider, because who wouldn't love shaking their booty under some dinosaur bones?  But if you can see from the picture, there is limited space for tables, let alone a buffet line and a dancing area.  And I think for the amount of people we are looking to invite, the area is too small.  And those dinosaurs are all on platforms so I just thought everyone would feel very separated from one another.  The Hall of gems is nice, but there is bright red carpet all through the place so I hope your color scheme goes with it.  And it is just that, halls.  So kind of a weird setup - I think I prefer more of a ballroom feel.  And the foyer is alright I guess.  The space is big, and I am sure you can pay an event designer to turn it into fabulous, but that is an extra cost to consider.  If not, then you are just there in the entryway, with the banners about the pirate exhibit going on, and the closed McDonalds.  Yeah, there is a McDonalds in the foyer.  Maybe they could cater?  Only kidding. 

Also there is something kind of eerie about being in a museum after closing time.  Very quiet and echo-ish.  Not very warm and celebratory feeling to me. 

So the open house was alright, it took a while for someone to come up and ask up if we had questions or anything.  She was very nice and helpful, but I guess I was just expecting something different.  This was my first open house ever so I didn't know what was going to happen, but I figured it would be much like buying a house or renting an apartment.  Someone is going to try and sell you on this place.  That wasn't happening.  So A and I left, and I was a tad discouraged, I wanted it to be way better than it was.  But what can ya do?  And looking back, the only reason I really was considering it was because the museum is in an ideal location for us. 

So the museum is out, but I am certain one of the other 20 something venues I have my eye on will work out ;)

No comments: