Monday, January 31, 2011

Veranda by *17

Don't things with funky characters in the title (*) just seem so cool??
My Mom and I began our Saturday at The Alden Hotel's Veranda by *17
Luckily we got there without too many problems because all of downtown was rerouted everywhere for the Chevron Marathon that was happening Sunday.  Note to self, make sure that isn't happening on the same weekend as the wedding next year...but anyway.

The Alden Hotel is very cool.  I really need to think of some better adjectives too.  The downstairs lobby is all dark wood and reds - very spicy indeed.  Then you head upstairs to the second floor to the patio/ballroom known as Veranda by *17.  It is basically a giant patio that is enclosed with clear plastic, so you get the feel of outdoors in a climate controlled space.  Perfect for Houston!  There is a really pretty wall with greenery growing through it on one side, and the other side is a tan brick and the tent roof as you can see is all white.  I think it could be done up really nicely in a winter theme with all of that white.  The view is nice as well, but we are only on the second floor, so it isn't like you can see the whole skyline or anything.  Also at The Alden, the food and beverage minimum is much more reasonable than the Magnolia Hotel which is right across the street. 
But with everything, there are downsides.  I think the space will be too small.  Sure, in theory you could cram 200 people in that area, but I am sure people would like to scoot their chair out without bumping into another person's chair.  Also, the set up of where the dance floor would go in order to maximize the space for people to sit is in the corner of the room, and I am not a big fan of that.  I can just imagine if you have to crawl through a tightly spaced sea of tables to even get to the dance area, you may not even bother.  And people need to dance so that I can hide in the group while I am dancing since I am not very good and sort of spazzy looking. 
Aside from the dancefloor and having to cut down on some guests in order to not have a claustrophobia panic attack, The Alden is pretty good.  I could be happy with a reception at Alden.  It is on the maybe list though, but top of the maybe list.

No comments: