Saturday, August 6, 2011

Alphorn Bakery

Yum!

This morning Aaron, my Mom, brother and I went to our very first wedding cake consultation at Alphorn Bakery!  I am 95% positive this is the place, but choosing them right off the bat means that I don't get to try more cake, so we will entertain the other bakery's cake for our own selfish gain.  The owner of the shop, Peter, has been in the biz for like 17 years, and I think he is originally from Switzerland because he has a super fun accent.  And he totally knows the chefs at the Petroleum Club - they used to work together!  We got to try 4 little slices of different cakes, and they were so.flippin.good.  We tried a white cake with raspberry filling, a strawberry mango cake, italian cream cake, and chocolate with a chocolate mousse filling.  I don't know how we are going to decide flavors?!  But anyway, we sat down and went over the head count, and looked at a bunch of pictures, came up with some general ideas that we liked.  The think I really enjoyed (aside from eating cake) was the straightforwardness of Peter.  I never felt shmoozed, or like he was trying to be tricky in any way.  He was like, this is the price, and the other people will try to nickel and dime you so be careful, and that he stands by his work and that is that.  This guy is actually off the beaten path of wedding cake bakers in Houston, he even asked how we heard about him since he doesn't really advertise - and I think this is reflected in his prices, which were majorly under budget (win!).  He was recommended to me from my friend from school.  Her sister got married last spring and she said they went and saw Peter, then immediately after, canceled the rest of their scheduled tastings because it was the best cake they'd ever tasted.  If that isn't a rave review, I don't know what is!

So the first cake testing went pretty phemnomenally.  Three more to go, but I think our decision is pretty much made!

3 comments:

Ryan Wilson said...

Let them eat cake.

Anonymous said...

can't wait for the wedding!! Whoop!

Stylish Bliss with MiMi said...

The sweet taste of a successful cake tasting!!