Saturday, August 6, 2011

A Tale of Two Dresses.


So today was my first appointment to try on dresses for the big day.  My Mom and I headed back into the city after the morning of cake try-out 1 and headed to David's Bridal.  I was super nervous about dress shopping, and David's in general.  The first time I was in there for wedding related things, I was with MOH Katrina and we were just looking for fun at some bridesmaid dresses.  The dresses were good, but everything else was pretty terrible.  First of all, I felt like I was in a Wal-Mart, due to the clientele this establishment garnered.  It was just super crowded with people not watching their kids running around, or looking like they haven't showered in a good while, or had neck tattoos, etc.  It was nothing like 'Say Yes to the Dress'.  Plus the consultant who was working with us was totally weird, and not making any sort of small talk.  So basically when Katrina was trying on the dresses we stared at each other in silence.  Awkward.
And then there is the whole issue of me not really being into clothes shopping in general.  Don't get me wrong, I am obviously super excited to get married but the dress thing...I just feel like I am not super happy with my appearance usually, so why would a white dress change any of that?  It's nothing upsetting to me or anything, it just is what it is.  I prefer to not have the attention on me generally.  Which  is why Aaron is a good husband choice, he loves that stuff, lol.
Anyway, I was trying to keep an open mind and not have expectations on the day.  Well we arrived and met with our consultant Kristin, who was so wonderful and nice.  We sat down and talked about what I envisioned myself wearing (which was nothing aside from not being a fan of strapless) ((not wearing nothing, just no concrete ideas on what I wanted)).  Well all in all I tried on about 7 different dresses and I really liked two of them. 
What's a girl to do???

Dress #1

This dress is one I found on the website and I thought it was really gorgeous.  It was just as pretty in person, and the first wedding gown I have ever tried on.  I apologize for no pictures, I have to keep some element of surprise about the big day. ;)  When I think about dress 1, I think wow factor.  When I wore it, I felt very glamorous.  And the style is very unique.  I don't know what my style is, but a big factor in the things I find appealing is a uniqueness factor.  I don't like things that are overly popular or that everyone has.  But am I a wow factor kind of girl?  Plus the dress is kind of on the heavy side, but I don't know if that matters.

Dress #2

This dress on the hanger looks like a giant snore.  I later found it in the catalogue and on the website and it is something I bypassed for being so ordinary looking on several occasions.  This was the last dress I tried on at the appointment.  So I try the dress on and I look really really good in it.  And the back part and train blew me away they were so pretty.  The front didn't have the wow factor that dress 1 did but was still very pretty and looked more 'me'.  I even had a stranger comment that she had seen me come out in a few dresses, and this was hands down the best.  (but she didn't see dress 1)  And this dress has around 60+ reviews on the website, and dress 1 had less than 15.  So plenty of people walked down the aisle in this look.  So while this one seems like a clear choice, dress 1 is still lingering in the back of my mind


So I am going to sleep on it a bit, and I have another appointment next weekend to see if I can add more to the maybe list.  I don't know if I am the type that will just have a lightning bolt moment of knowing that this is THE dress, I didn't really make any emotional connection that I was shopping for a wedding dress.  ::shrug::  The times Kristin put a veil on me, I thought I looked like a lion.  And let me give a shout out to those girdle things they give you to wear under the dresses, that thing works good!  I almost cancelled my diet I am going on starting Monday, lol.  But yes, I am glad that we had a successful time.  And I take comfort that I have, at very least, two dress options that are, in my humble opinion, stunning. Aaron is one lucky guy, lol ;)  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey there! I just came across your blog and I'm so glad I did! First off, congrats on your engagement! I hope you have the wedding of your dreams.

I do firmly believe in that lightening bolt moment where you find THE dress. Don't become discouraged and don't give up. However, don't overwhelm yourself by trying on too many at once; having too many people present; and going to way too many places in one day. It will happen and if you become exhausted, go back to the couple of dresses that you may have had the "feeling" in and the dresses that suited your body type as well as had most of your preferences.

I actually just posted it on my blog. I have a wedding/romance blog...I hope you follow along!

Read my post about finding THE dress here: http://romanceinaglance.blogspot.com/2011/08/glass-slipper-gown.html

Have a great weekend!