Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Bridezilla is Born.


I suppose it was only a matter of time until a wedding vendor tried to ruin my life.

If you've been reading for a while you might remember this post about how I scored a super sweet groupon for a photobooth for the wedding reception.  And of course, I did my homework and made sure the company is legit and reputable, and contacted them to make sure they had my date available.  They passed inspection and I got an email confirmation that my date was on hold.  Sold!

Well last week I was much like a 8 month pregnant nesting mom-to-be, and school was my baby.  So I was trying to get any and all wedding loose ends tied up before the semester starts, including getting this photobooth set in stone and finalized. 

So I called up the place on Thursday and an automated voice answers and there was a specific option for groupon people, so I left a message about how I have a groupon and I wanted to get my booth set up, etc.

Now it is Monday and I haven't gotten a call back, so I email Ryan, whom I emailed back in February when I bought this groupon to secure my date, and tell him how I called and no one has gotten back to me but I wanted to get this booth set up.

Now it is Tuesday and no phone call or email, and my annoyance level is at about a 7.  I cannot stand it when I have to wait on people for things.  It is a character flaw I need to work on, I know, but I just want to get things done and handled and it not have to take a week to get one simple answer or whatever. 

I call again Tuesday afternoon and the menu options have changed, and there is no option for groupon people, so I hit the rent a photobooth option, and FINALLY I get someone on the phone.  I tell them about my groupon and how I want to set up my booth.  Here is a transcript of our conversation:
Employee: Um...who did you get this confirmed with?
Me: I confirmed with Ryan over email before I bought the groupon
E: Did you sign a contract yet?
M: No, this is why I am calling...  I have the email he sent me saying my date was held
E: Well I got hired on after the groupon promotion, and I show this date as booked, did you have another day you wanted to book
M: No, I bought it specifically for that day for my wedding reception, which is why I checked with you guys first.
E: Well people have been calling in and we only have 2 booths, what time is your event, we can maybe try to squeeze you in?
M: um, ok, I need it from 6-11pm
E: Well we can do this brand new thing we are doing, it's like a white screen with an actual photographer, and they project the pictures onto the wall of your reception
M: Well...  That isn't going to work because the photobooth is going to be in a seperate room from the main room, and I wanted the people to have the printouts, and then make a scrapbook with the second copy...
E: Well did you have a scrap book, because people usually walk off with the second copies, and noone really keeps those printouts, and this projection thing is much more expensive...
M: Eh...I think I need to call you back
E: I think you should call back and talk to Ryan.

Right now I am a cross between wanting to burst into tears and wanting to rip this dude's head off of his body. 
I was mad, you guys.  I won't go into details, but it was not the sweet Natalie we all know and love...there were far too many cuss words for that.  And I got to that level of mad because for once I feel like this is not even a little bit my fault.  I mean, the only thing I wanted to hear is that they acknowledge that they messed up and they are going to handle it, and a photobooth will be at my reception.  I'm not entirely ridiculous, I don't need things to be perfect or even expect that they can be.  But I do expect someone I am paying money to, to deliver and not jerk me around. 

So I called and left a voicemail for Ryan and read him the email he sent me back in February and asked what he is going to do to fix this.

I am still waiting for a reply back.

Now I know that a photobooth doesn't make or break a wedding, but I was so looking forward to having one, and I feel like at this point I am probably just going to get a refund from groupon and that be that.  I could get a photobooth from a different company, but it'll cost double.  There is a popular example in all the UNT Economics classes that they use to illustrate sunk costs - If you go to the ATM and take out $20 to buy a Hootie and the Blowfish CD and the $20 gets blown away by a gust of wind and is gone forever, is it more rational to get another $20 out of the ATM and buy your CD, or just go home?  Answer:  they are exactly equal.  The $20 is a sunk cost, it is gone, so forget about it.  And having a Hootie CD and $20 gives you the exact same amount of 'utility'/happiness.  Nerd Alert.  But this is like a real life living example of what is happening. 

So I know I can 100% get my money back right now, but it isn't going to make a photobooth appear at my wedding, which totally stinks. 

And I get more and more livid with every hour that passes that I don't get some sort of response. 

But I am patiently waiting to hear back from these fools to see how they intend to make it right...and resisting the urge to throw a molotov cocktail into their office.  (jk, I would never really do such a thing, it is just the mad talking)







2 comments:

Megan said...

I do not blame you for being mad! I would be absolutely livid and probably be doing exactly what you are doing. You better give them hell for everything they are putting you through and they better make this right! What a horrible company to work with. Make sure if you have a way of giving them a review on a website or something that you do because other people should be warned about how careless this company was. I hope that everything works itself out. And please write a blog when you find out what they are going to do to fix it, I am very interested in how they will handle this situation!

Stylish Bliss with MiMi said...

I hope they are able to resolve it and get you that photobooth!!