Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Weight Loss Update #1


Hey everyone!  I just wanted to give a quick update about my dieting progress.  I am currently on day 3 of the South Beach Diet, and I am down 6 pounds already!  I like this diet because it is pretty straightforward, and has the right amount of structure that works for me, and you see results pretty quickly!  Plus my Mom has all the books already, and has joined me in the quest, though she doesn't need to lose any weight if you ask me.  Either way, a diet buddy is a welcome thing!  Collateral damage is that my poor little brother who has been our chef in the evenings while he hasn't been working doesn't get to make unhealthy-ish food for dinner or he gets us ganging up on him, lol.  We tried to get him on board too, but he was not interested. 

So I am in phase 1 of the diet right now, which is 11 days of pretty strict eating.  Pretty much you can eat green veggies, eggs, low-fat meat/protein (like chicken, fish, turkey), and low fat cheese.  Bonus though, you can eat certain sugar free things, like jello or sugar free hard candy, and diet soda.  So pretty much we have eggs for breakfast, protein on a salad for lunch, and protein with some veggies for dinner, and a jello for dessert.  I am so stoked that I am already down 6 pounds, that I don't even think about how I am not eating any pizza or fast food.  Another thing I do, is if I get a craving for some food that isn't allowed, I think about having it on January 29th.  And that doesn't seem too far away, so it appeases me, lol. 

Once phase 1 is over, you can start eating certain fruits and whole wheat carbs (in moderation of course).  So your weightloss slows, but really, it is unhealthy to be dropping 3 pounds a day non-stop.  And I couldn't eat like this forever!  And then when you are at your goal, you can eat anything, but when you have one of those days where you eat 5 breadsticks at the Olive Garden, or you accidentally eat half a bag of cheetos, you can just eat the phase 1 meal plan for a few days and get back on track.  Brilliant!  And most likely, this is probably how people who don't have weight problems operate in general...but my standard reply to eating all the cheetos is ::shrug:: I could go for something sweet now, lets have ice cream! 
Which is why I am here in the first place.  :\ 

And thankfully this diet doesn't require you to exercise, though I am sure mixing that in will give me even awesomer results.  I am just going to focus on the eating part, then mix that in.  My Mom and I did really well with walking in the evenings, but it has been like 800 days in a row of over 100 degree temperatures in Texas.  We'll get back into it once the outside stops feeling like the surface of the sun.  Excuses, excuses, I know!

But yes, everything is going well so far, and I'll be sure to post periodic updates on my progress!

1 comment:

Saying I do said...

Congrats! That actually does sound pretty doable! Good luck moving forward with it..it's nice you have diet buddy!